Friday 6 July 2007

I have never made a TV Programme in my life

I admit I still sometimes celebrate at home, on my own, very occasionally with a white wine spritzer, thanking my lucky stars that not once did I EVER actually have to make a television programme before getting my executive break.

I've never had to freeze my arse off on some shite council estate filming kids with Asbos; not once have I ever needed to bust my balls pursuading some emotionally fragile fat single Mum to take part in a documentary under highly dubious pretences; and not once have I ever, ever, EVER had to suffer the torment or the guilt of thinking that I was truly fucking with someone's life just to make an hour of instantly forgettable telly.

Maybe that's why Kleiny, Higson and the like can get so protective over their favoured directors. That's the trouble with modern television - far too many commissioning editors have come straight from programme making and can easily lose perspective. Then before you realise - WHAM! They've gone native and say things like 'the director wants a more organic structure'...

For me, I'll never be taken in by all that bullshit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm…. Perhaps you have a point about programme makers becoming too involved with their subjects to be really objective.

But I think the general consensus about you is that your lack on any real programme making experience would explain why your ‘youth channel’ is still putting out repeats of that ‘2 pints of larger’ shit and you haven’t got any credited success to you name!

Anonymous said...

Did Anthony do the blog today? Doesn't sound like you anymore - there's a curiously subdued, almost chastened tone...

Anonymous said...

maybe the pressure of new job is starting to get to him? we all have our off days when we doubt ourselves

Anonymous said...

I thought that having no programme making experience was de rigeur at the Beeb these days. The less you've made, the quicker you climb the greasy pole, non?